I downloaded Interpol's most recent release "Our Love to Admire" back onto my computer today. iTunes 8 has been very kind and quite fun to use (please, check it out. It's an experience if you really love your music). Anyhow, I reacquired my iPod from Ms. Nordvig yesterevening whilest enjoying some fine company over at the Beer Garden. The group consisted of, according to Shaun, "a whole lot of Florida people."
In attendance were: Myself, Chris, Katy, Shaun, Meg, Justin, Lauren, Becky, Brittany, and RJ. Quite a bit, wouldn't you say? But I'm getting ahead of myself... Let's start at the beginning.
INTERPOL = on my ipod and back in my life and rocking (seriously, give them a listen.)
Got that? Now the story...
Sunday night, I had told Tony, Joey and Danny's roommate, that I would help him construct his bed. Thus, Monday afternoon, I borrowed my roommate's screwdrivers and pair of pliers and headed to the Financial District. After having the trains screw me over THREE different times while heading there (each train I boarded would take me two stops down and call "Last Stop," the order to leave the train because service for that train was ending), it was good to be above ground and enjoying the weather. It has been exceptionally beautiful out for the past few days, though the chill's coming out now. :) I love it. So, I got to Tony's and we got to work.
Prelim to final pics: (Oh and P.S. we did this with NO instructions)
Well, we were proud of it. So there.
We hung out a bit afterwards, watching "What the (bleep) Do We (k)now?" and discussing the power of positive thinking, as ridiculous as that sounds. I left with a strong sense of accomplishment and self-awareness. I strolled to the train with a feeling that something was going to happen... Tomorrow morning would bring exciting things.
"Hello?" ::cough::
"Hey Ryan, it's Karen."
"Kaaaaaaaaaaaaarrreeeeeennn... I knew my morning was going to start off right."
::laughter:: "Well, I was calling to see what you were doing today. And if you were interested in taking something last minute for work..."
"Karen, I'm down. Let me grab some paper and a pen and lay the info on me."
BANG. I have work today. Up and out of bed. Karen told them I'd be there at 10:45 at the latest. It was 9:15 now. I had to get to Broad St. (Which, if you don't know, is DOWNTOWN Manhattan) from my place in Astoria. Time would be tight but if I moved just fast enough, I'd be EARLY. Fast forward to 10:30 as I am walking down Wall Street... where The Lehman Bros. have just filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy, the largest in U.S. history. (If you aren't aware of your surroundings and haven't been researching the recent panic on Wall Street as banks collapse, get on that. Seriously.) I'm arriving a couple hours after opening bell so the street is just vibing with its usual hustle-and-bustle. I got inside and met Angie, my first "supervisor." She escorted me from the lobby to the 30th floor, chatting with me about how easy the day would be and my responsibilities.
::DING::
Doors open. And we were there...
Small office... yet classy at the same time. Anyway, I sat in aforepictured chair at the computer and watched Wall Street unravel before my eyes on CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, and... Fark.com. The day was rather laid back with the most fun of the day came while packaging computers for international shipping via FedEx. I discovered great joy and pride in preparing these packages for shipping. I contacted FedEx, inquired the necessary forms for shipping and got to work. I prepared a Commercial Invoice, describing the contents of the packages for Customs Officers to read before it leaves. I finished all that before lunch at 2 p.m. when I walked out into one of the saddest things I'd seen in a while.
Not to be overdramatic or overly emotional, the sight evoked a stirring for change and the need to fix this country as soon as possible. Businessmen in suits carrying boxes, people on their cell phones, news cameras, reporters, photographers, police, bystanders (including me) were all concentrated onto one street. As I walked across the street immediately regretting not bringing my camera, I saw one gentleman in a fine suit on the curb with his head in his hands, his belongings in a box next to him, weeping. I slowly walked away from him into Starbucks, searching for something to make the day a little more tolerable. I found a Double Chocolate Chip Frappe with Old Fashioned Crumb Cake as a treat. After consuming my indulgence, I walked back across the street in a hardened New York manner up to the office. I finished the day and walked out with Angie and down Broad St towards the NYSE.
Less press, less people, more space.
It was a desolate besides the few pedestrians still herding around the remaining press of the day.
I got to talking to Eddie, which was really great. We both had alot to catch up on and we did. It was the right way to end my day on the phone with one of my dearest friends. (That read really lame, didn't it? Eh, whatever.) I was feeling good, heading back to my place for some roommate bonding with J-wizzle. Good times, as usual, with some electric guitar playing and some serious rocking.
TUESDAY: Surprisingly, no call today from Karen. That's alright. Work will come.
I spend my day organizing my life finally. Sorting clothes, properly hanging things, making my bed (for the first time all week, ugh) were on the agenda and got done, I'm proud to say. Soon, day became early evening and Chris and I were going to hang out over on 30th Ave. WHEN I received a phone call from a goddess... a Norwegian goddess, if you're craving details. ;) Lauren informs me of a gatherig of EPIC proportions over at the Beer Garden on 24th Ave and 31st St. Chris and I gather ourselves up and headed down the road to meet Katy. It was great seeing Katy for the first time since the move and she's been up to some really awesome stuff. Awfully proud of you, Katy.
Beer Garden.
Beer, Broads, Benches, Beer, and (did we mention?) Beer?
Grab your pitcher in the lobby, some plastic cups, and haul outside to choose from the expanse of picnic benches. What a place... So now, we're at the point where we are caught up to the early exposition.
In attendance were: Myself, Chris, Katy, Shaun, Meg, Justin, Lauren, Becky, Brittany, and RJ. Quite a bit, wouldn't you say? <-----remember that?
Home early though, I had to be at 250 Park Avenue by 9 a.m.
TODAY: Alarm goes off at 7:05 a.m. ::click:: ZZZZzzzzzzzzz
7:10 a.m. Out of bed and into the shower
Dressed to the 9s, I head to the train station. The trip into Manhattan in morning is quite gorgeous on the N train.
Fast forward~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> Grand Central Station
Walking out on the Lexington Ave side into the flow of people already pulsing on the sidewalk veins of this beating city was invigorating. the brisk morning air tossing people's clothing about and scooping the dry heat from the subway away...
The Helmsley Building
I make my way into the lobby and the chain of events went something... like this...
- Photographed by webcam for "Visitors Pass" issued to me which was valid until tomorrow
- Through a scanning turnstill which recognized my barcode identity and allowed me access.
- Elevator to second floor and into my new office
Across from me sits Cindy-Sue, who is the brains of the operation. LoL, I am simply in charge of any overflow calls from the office. Which means if the phone doesn't ring, I just have to make sure I am ready to answer it if it should ring.
So I browsed the Internets... always fun.
Solitaire rounded my day out and I realized that I had been able to kill that much time just by reading articles online and researching random topics that caught my fancy. I might just bring a good novel in and put my feet up...
And here I sit, your humble narrator, listening to the hum of my roommate's computer in the other room and tapping keys of my keyboard as the night truly begins. Whatever I'm doing... I won't be out late. Just because I sit around all day doesn't mean I shouldn't show up on time.
"You don't hold...
A candle
You don't hold...
A candle."
- "Pace Is The Trick"
I miss you all. I kept the fortune I got in a fortune cookie the first time I ate Chinese food in the city... You'll never guess what it said...
"Do not forget you are always on our minds."
:) Well, you're on my mind, too.
Good night.

2 comments:
Hey Ryan! Long time no see! (I know, cliche.)
It's Jake. There's probably a 60% chance you remember me. I was in The Wizard of Oz with you at the Osceola Center for the Arts. I was the Mayor of Munchkinland, as I recall. Good times...
ANYWAY, I just saw the link to your blog on facebook and decided to check it out. I'm really glad to see that you've moved to New York and you seem to be doing okay. Tons of people say they're going to go there but they kind of chicken out at the last minute and decide to force themselves to be content with where they are. Moving to New York is a big deal, so congratulations!
I am finally graduating high school this year and, apart from a major tragedy interfering with my well thought out plans, I will be moving to NYC in early Fall of 09. I can't wait. So, that's pretty much the end of this comment. Once again, congratulations and thanks for being another small piece of inspiration!
-Mayor Jake Link
P.S. I'm going to leave you with my favorite quote ever. It's super simple, but it totally changed my life.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Interpol = <3
seriously, went to the Turn on the Bright Lights concert in Ft. Lauderdale, almost died several times, but...love.
Post a Comment