It has been a busy week, what with starting at Apple on Wednesday afternoon, working my first full three days in the madness of the new MacBook release, surviving the week and having one of the greatest Saturdays ever.
I haven't taken my camera with me to work yet. The operative word there is "yet" because sooner or later, I'm going to be taking pictures with my awesome friends at work. And to put it to you simply, this is one of the best jobs I've ever had. Once you conquer any fear or concern over the number of people that are in the store at one time, you can do anything.
And the best part? Actually HELPING people and making them happy. (I know that sounds so SIMPLE, but you'd be surprised how much strangers appreciate your attention to their needs) And the last I'll say on this: I love my job at Apple.
But I'm getting ahead of myself...
UF CRUSHES LSU Saturday evening. Gators 51 - Tigers 21
LSWho? Yeah, about that...
Great way for Saturday to end with a devastating defeat of LSU. Congrats, Gators!
The next morning, I recieve a text message from Joe, asking if anyone wanted to join him for a day-trip to Central Park. I decide to jump on the chance; I hadn't spent alot of time in the Park since I moved and wanted a chance to soak up the gorgeous weather. I grabbed my camera and got to the train. I arrived in Central Park...
The ice rink.
While meandering through the Park, we found a group of musicians playing some fantastic jazz. We had stumbled upon musical gold. They are called "The Jazz Collective" and have been coming to the same spot from spring to early fall for the past 15 years. Only one member of the original group remains. His name is Rasheed and he plays the trumpet (or trumpet[s] because he can play two at once.) Joe and I took seats along the wooden beam that passed in front of the group and soaked it in.
After listening for a bit, we walked the lake. Joe proposed fetching a boat and rowing around the lake for a little while. (Long story short, we thought we were walking in the right direction and weren't. Completely missed the boathouse). However, we stumbled upon a much more enjoyable proposition... The Jazz Collective in full swing.
Here are some photos of these entertaining artists:
And they jammed out and kept playing...
We sat there for nearly two hours, just grooving with these talented musicians. What a way to spend a gorgeous Sunday afternoon.
So strolled back towards the train station. En route we heard the call of "FREE BEER!" Realizing this was a ploy outright, we decided to attract attention to ourselves:
"Did somebody say FREE BEER?!?!"
We were answered:
"That's right, white boys. Come on down."
And we joined an already forming circle around a dance troupe called The Breeze Team. Hailing from Brooklyn, they had a full team of about six adults and three kids. They were really busting some impressive moves, even the kids.
After a bit of showmanship, they announce the "Leap of Death," which lines some members of the team ("and a white kid!") up for their jumpman to leap over.
After faking the first attempt, they pull Joe into the line... this ought to be good.
And the guy does it. Impressive.
An appropriate end to Man Day (as we have come to call that day) came at my house with some South Park and delicious ice cream. Good way to end the weekend before my first workweek.
I returned to training on Monday and finished on Tuesday with incredibly high-hopes for Wednesday. :) Really all I can do when I think about work is smile. The details of the job are what make it so enjoyable. Going into them here would be terribly time-consuming. They are innumerable. Just remember what I said earlier: I love my job.
The week FLEW past. Time seems to have no bearing while I am underground. Next thing I knew, it was Saturday.
All week, Joe and I had been planning on returning to Central Park to listen to the Jazz Collective and hopefully get a boat at the lake. We roped in The Steinway Ladies and set the date for Saturday.
And what a day it was. We went by the Jazz Collective only to see the semblance of the group of last week. Still good, but not complete.
To Bethesda Fountain we went, as per Brittany's request. What a fantastic decision...
There, we saw the boathouse. Would we finally be able to purchase a boat and row the lake?
No, of course not. Cash only. And we all had cards. Oh well... at least we found the boats.
Now what to do? Amy mentions a dive burger joint in the Parker Meridian hotel and we decide our stomachs are craving just that.
And we arrived at the Parker Meridian and turned into a small hallway near the front desk.
And you want to talk about a hole-in-the-wall? This place was perfect. The aroma of grilled burgers was wafting out the door.
We enjoyed the delicious burgers and even ended up getting some free brownies out of the deal. So we headed back towards the train station to get into Queens.
After that, I started feeling a little feverish and awfully cold. I decided to spend the evening indoors with my roomie and our good friend, Albert. Justin introduced me to Cosmic Wimpout, a dice game of epic proportions. If you want to play sometime, just swing by.
For now, I'm heading off to work.
It's a beautiful day, so if you're in New York, go outside for a little while.
I miss you all and I love you immensely.
Talk to you soon.

1 comment:
The editor in me is forced to tell you that it was the Parker Meridian (or Le Parker Meridien) that the burger joint was in, and secondly, where's the shout out you promised me? :( Btw, you were missed Saturday night!
Post a Comment